Monday, July 29, 2013

The Challenge Continues, Day 204: Proverbs 23-25; Psalm 17; Philippians 1

Buy Truth and Don't Sell It
When I was in seminary, I had to take out loans in order to finance my education and formation. Despite a generous scholarship from the school, and some nominal support from my home parish and Diocese, I still had to put out money of my own (that I had not yet earned) in order to keep myself in books, food, and general sundries. That debt followed me for quite a while, almost fifteen years into my priesthood. Many other clergy walk with this yoke of debt, or more...it's not easy, but it is at this point part of "the life," and something most other professional vocations demand of those called.

Still, that series of loans that I signed for inspired a bit of a conversion experience. As thousands of dollars of debt were added to my (negative) net worth, I realized that each dollar spent on education was an opportunity for me to learn something.

That's the great secret of life, one that many people never "get." When we invest in learning and formation, then it is up to us to get the most of the experience. "Buy truth and don't sell it; buy wisdom, instruction and understanding." (Proverbs 23:23) You cannot possibly waste a dollar, a minute, a mote of knowledge in this life. All of it is precious!

A good friend once told me, "Bite deep into life." I would add to that....bite deep into wisdom, knowledge and the opportunity to both invest in them and grow from the benefit of knowing them like your next breath. They are that valuable!

No comments:

Post a Comment