Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Stepping back from the Bible Challenge for a moment...

As I was catching up on the news today, in particular the progress of the papal conclave in Rome, I took a break from staring at the live web feed showing the smoke stack jutting from the roof of the Sistine Chapel to peruse what else might be going on in the world of "church" and "religion."

One can only stare at a smoke stack for so long...

That was when I came across this video. It showcases a new book just released today by Rob Bell, pastor and "contemporary" theologian. Take a look:



I was first introduced to Rob's "Nooma" videos by a young man working as the youth director at a parish I once served as rector. Those videos are available here. We have used those videos in other churches, again and again to great effect. Rob is one of those "new" evangelicals in whom I find a great deal of hope as nearly every quarter of the Church struggles to find its way in a world where an increasingly rapid rate of change in culture and human being is the only true constant (outside of God, of course!). He cuts to the theological core of so many difficult questions. He has also inspired some controversy, particularly with his book "Love Wins."

This latest book seems to continue the direction he took in "Love Wins."

I think I have some spring reading ahead of me....

...and as I watched this video, I realized that the Oldsmobile he is talking about is the same model car that I learned to drive in...30 years ago. Now, that's a metaphor that will be keeping me up at night....

1 comment:

  1. So excited to hear that he has new book and hope we will have the book study soon look forward to it:)

    ReplyDelete