Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Didn't It Rain

Woke up with a strange, optimistic feeling today and was not sure how to articulate it. After a long time, I am starting to feel like I can finally begin again to make choices and take actions out of a deeper sense of connection to both the talent I have been given by God and with a humility installed after the past few years' journeys. It's a new feeling, and one I want to savor for a while. It has come at a cost both to me and to those around me who have been supportive advocates, and whose patience I have tried again and again. So, as I was casting about for a way to illustrate it, I got a gift from a colleague who introduced me to Sister Rosetta Tharpe. She is a new creation to me, but for others she is one of the great progenitors of both contemporary Gospel AND classic Rock and Roll.

She can windmill like Pete Townshend, pick like Muddy Water and wail like Jimi Hendrix. Not to mention, she has a voice that gives Miss Mahalia Jackson a run for the money.

So, as I ponder this new, settling awareness that I have a lot to learn and some wonderful, blessed people to learn it from, I can affirm and agree with her song...."Didn't it rain"!

No comments:

Post a Comment