Thursday, October 09, 2008

Newest and Oldest

A powerful week: Yesterday, I went to visit our newest parishioner-Sean Joseph Wiedemer. He was born a few hours before. I only got to see a snapshot and then a wee peek in the nursery window, but was blessed to be able to spend time with his parents in the maternity wing. Trinity continues to grow, with babies and their baptisms arriving almost weekly, it seems.

At the same time, I was able today to visit with our oldest parishioner, Helen. At nearly 101, she is by far the most senior among us. She has a powerful faith. God is so real to her. A simple Eucharist at a dining area table with myself and her son really was for her a foretaste of the heavenly banquet.

Newest and Oldest. It puts life into perspective. As so many of us deal with the anxieties of life in the world-the election, the financial crisis, even the fragmenting/reforming of the church, it gives me pause to see life from these two extremes. For someone who has just entered this world, it is all before him. It is all possibility. For someone at 101, she has seen it all, has survived it and continues to make a witness to faith, hope and love in Christ. God help us all to have that same aged innocence. I know I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment