Thursday, August 23, 2007

Some mornings are meetings...

...and some meetings take all morning.

Today has been a long one. Between pastoral care calls and visits and meetings this morning, it is coming up on 3:30 and I am just now sitting down to my desk for some work. Can't complain too much, though. My back has been hurting a bit, and sitting doesn't do it any favors...so, I will try to limit my time in the desk chair. Besides, I have coffee with my Rector's warden in a half-hour.

One of the things that continues to amaze me is both the variety and complexity of work as the rector of a parish. Today is a great example. This morning's Artistic Advisory meeting covered subjects from memorial fund finances, to the state of our silver, to the status of the memorial book to the idea of an aumbry for our reserved sacrament. Just before that, I met with one of my parishioners in charge of Men's Breakfast to talk about the future direction of the program and to divvy up some of the booking and publicity tasks. From Art. Adv., I went to pick up Laura for a visit to a parishioner's home as his family watches over him in his infirmity. While in between here and there, I got two more calls from staff and parishioners, updating me on pastoral crises.

Soon, we have an anointing for a someone having surgery tomorrow...and then I am on call for the next few days as we observe the Feast of St. Bartholomew and then get ready for a funeral on Saturday and a Baptism on Sunday. In between, I get to finish off the September newsletter (my to do, we don't have an editor right now and most of my staff is out of the office on vacation or medical leave), and then prepare for a clergy professional development retreat in North Carolina three and a half weeks from now...

I think there are some dishes in the rectory office's sink I need to attend to as well.

Ah, the varied life of the parish priest.

No comments:

Post a Comment